Cordillera Huayhuash Circuit
Duration: 7-8 days
Distance: Approximately 75 miles/120km
Elevation: 10,800ft – 16,400ft
Jake and I are heading back to South America in a just a few short weeks! Don’t worry… more to come on the actual trek soon.Right now, the focus is organizing food!
The first week in Peru, we will spend most of our time acclimating in the town of Huaraz, performing daily hikes in the area, gradually increasing in elevation. We’ve been told the grocery store in Huaraz doesn’t have much for backpacking food, so we decided to supply our trek from home to ensure we’ll have adequate energy, nutrition and most importantly, variety.
So far, what we have planned weighs about 23lbs all together, for two people, for 7-8 days. Not bad, considering it will be split evenly between Jake and I. We also plan on grabbing additional snacks as needed and olive oil to add to our dinners once we get to Huaraz. Olive oil was our secret weapon to adding calories on the Pacific Crest Trail.
Looking for meal ideas for your next trek?
Curious what 23lbs of food looks like? 🙂
Here’s a first look at what we’ll be traveling with to Peru and eating on our 7-8 day trek in the Cordillera Huayhuash!
- Apple Pie Oatmeal (1 serving/person) ⇢ 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup dehydrated apples, 1 Tablespoon chia seeds, 1 Tablespoon flaxseed, 1/4 cup dry milk powder, 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Strawberries n’ Cream Oatmeal (1 serving/person) ⇢ 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/2 cup dehydrated strawberries, 1 Tablespoon chia seeds, 1 Tablespoon flaxseed, 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 10 Trail mix baggies: 550 calories each (nuts/seed mix + sesame sticks + dark chocolate espresso beans)
- 12 Granola Baggies: 480 calories each (Bear Naked brand)
- 10 Lara Bars
- 14 Honey Stinger Waffles
- 10 Cliff Mojo Trail Mix Bars
- 12 Mission Tortillas + 16 Nut Butter
- Curry Couscous (Near East Roasted Garlic w/ Olive Oil Couscous + dehydrated summer squash, curry powder, dehydrated chickpeas, dehydrated green peppers)
- 2 Lemon Veggie Couscous (Near East Parmesan Couscous + dehydrated cherry tomatoes, dehydrated chickpeas, dehydrated summer squash, dried lemon peel)
- 2 Tomato Couscous (Near East Parmesan Couscous, dehydrated cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, dehydrated chickpeas)
- 2 Annie’s Mac n’ Cheese
- 2 Trader Joe’s Italian Tortellini/Ravioli + Trader Joe’s Sun-Dried Tomatoes (even better with added olive oil – yum!)
“Adventure begins at the end of the roads you know.”